HELP please!!!!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.
colochick91

HELP please!!!!!!

Post by colochick91 »

Hi, I am currently starting a science fair experiment in which I want to show the effect of water movement on its purity. By this I mean , that I will take a sample of pure water and expose it to constant movement through a mini fountain that keeps the water running through electrical current, and another another sample of the same type that will be put on a bowl and left without movement. Both samples will be exposed to the same environment for a constant time. After this step, I wil measure each of the sample's purity. I really like my experimet but I just dont know what to look for in order to write my research. In addition, I dont know where to look for sources that will explain in detail why movement affects water purity. I am extreamely worried and I will really appreciate your help.
For you time thank you, Ashley Rivera.
MaryamM
Former Expert

Post by MaryamM »

Hi Ashley!

One question - what do you mean by purity? Few bacteria or few metal ions/contaminants?

The following website talks about water movement and cleanliness in fish tanks:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/w ... vement.php

Paragraphs 6 and 7 talk about bacteria and water movement. Basically, the circulation of water in a tank will increase the concentration of dissolved oxygen and allow aerobic denitrifying bacteria to break down harmful waste products into nitrate (thus, decreasing the concentration of contaminants like ammonia and nitrite from fish waste). This will also decrease the amount of aerobic bacteria (which are harmful).

I couldn't really find anything about increasing or decreasing the amount of bacteria in the water, just increasing or decreasing different types (which I described above). Also, the article was talking about the water in fish tanks.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions or I didn't answer this question, just ask.
Best of luck!

~Maryam M.
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

MaryamM wrote:Hi Ashley!

[snip]
Basically, the circulation of water in a tank will increase the concentration of dissolved oxygen and allow aerobic denitrifying bacteria to break down harmful waste products into nitrate (thus, decreasing the concentration of contaminants like ammonia and nitrite from fish waste). This will also decrease the amount of aerobic bacteria (which are harmful).
[snip]

~Maryam M.
Do you mean 'anaerobic' in the last sentence?

Louise
MaryamM
Former Expert

Post by MaryamM »

Yes, sorry!! I meant 'anaerobic.' :oops:
Thanks for catching my mistake! :D

~Maryam M.
Louise
Former Expert

Post by Louise »

MaryamM wrote:Yes, sorry!! I meant 'anaerobic.' :oops:
Thanks for catching my mistake! :D

~Maryam M.
No problem. Your information was very interesting.

Louise

Return to “Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”