Paper propeller

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering
EHSextend

Paper propeller

Post by EHSextend »

We need to build a paper propeller that uses a rubber band to propell a helium ballon accross a room. Our basic design is down, we just need a bit of help with designing the propeller.
Thanks,
EHS students
EHSextend

Post by EHSextend »

The propeller does not have to be made of paper, it could be plastic, but we get extra points for using recycled material.
geoffbruton
Former Expert

Post by geoffbruton »

Hi EHS Students!

It sounds as though you're moving ahead with your science fair project - well done!

Although this is not in my field (so another expert may be able to help you more), I tried putting "propeller shape" into google.com and the first response gave some excellent information on propeller design - and a lot of things you should consider, too. Please take a look at http://www.wrightexperience.com/indepth/overview/ED.htm and see if this helps. In addition, try using slight variations on your search parameters (that is, what words you use) in your favorite search engine, and see what you get back.

Once you've got some more information on propeller design (and I would add that you include this in your log book), you may want to experiment with different designs and see what works best with your particular vehicle.

Good luck, and please let us know if you have any more questions.
Geoff.
Geoff Bruton
Firearm & Toolmark Section
Ventura County Sheriff's Department
Forensic Sciences Laboratory
paulsdecarli
Former Expert

Cardboard propellers ?

Post by paulsdecarli »

You should be able to make propellers out of cardboard. With a round hub made of thick cardboard, one could cut angled slots in the hub and glue in cardboard blades. Your research (and some simple experiments) should give you some ideas about shape and size of the blades.

Return to “Physical Science”