IMMEDIATE HELP NEEDED!!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

binsuabraham

IMMEDIATE HELP NEEDED!!!!

Post by binsuabraham »

Hello...Im in the 11th grade..
I need to find an experiment...Im interested in doin sumthin with pills and stomach acid...but i dont want to do product testing to see which is most effective or watever....my teacher said to do sumthing other than tat...

plzz help me!!!
_Lisa_
Former Expert

Post by _Lisa_ »

Hello.
I would suggest visiting the Science Fair Project Ideas web page (there is a link in the top left hand corner, or you can just click here https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... deas.shtml ). Since you would like to work with pills and stomach acid, click on the link to Pharmacology/Toxicology under the Life Sciences category. There are some great projects in there. There is a project for Drug Solubility or even Caffeine and Heart Rate which I think might best suit your scientific taste. If you have any more questions, feel free to post back. Happy hunting!
-Lisa
binsuabraham

Post by binsuabraham »

yes tat is a gud idea..but i dont want to use living things....
_Lisa_
Former Expert

Post by _Lisa_ »

If you were perhaps to use the Drug Solubility experiment, there will be no involvement with humans or other living organisms. The experiment would consist of testing the times or accuracy of dissolving pills in a base. The example gives you the basic range of the stomach (1-2). You would simply need a basic solution with a pH of 1 or 2 (ask your teacher if that can be supplied, and research on google what solutions have that pH level, seeing that you are a Junior in High School, there should be no problem handling such solutions, just be sure to use gloves and proper safety techniques!) and test the time it takes for different pills to dissolve. It suggests using different coated medications for a more thorough experiment.
An example:
I would like to test how long it takes a liquid gel capsule to dissolve versus a compressed powder pill. I would put a basic solution (1-2 pH) into 2 petri dishes and put the liquid gel capsule into one petri dish, and the compressed powder into the other, then record the time it takes for them to dissolve.
If you were to do this experiment, I would suggest talking to your teacher more in depth about an experiment like this, or reading the other experiments that have been done on this topic. You are lucky to have the Science Fair Project Ideas page which gives you such a thorough explanation of the project, so take advantage and delve into the wonders of pharmacological concepts.
-Lisa :D
binsuabraham

Post by binsuabraham »

but isnt tat more like product testing???
binsuabraham

Post by binsuabraham »

bcuz my teacher said tat it would not be experimenting if u r just testing to see which one dissolves...she said tat they r meant to be dissolved...just testing different types would not make it catchy...
_Lisa_
Former Expert

Post by _Lisa_ »

If your teacher fears that topic will not be "catchy" enough, you should steer away from pills and stomach acid. Try looking around the project ideas page and find something you think your teacher would find engaging.
-Lisa
binsuabraham

Post by binsuabraham »

isnt there anythin else i cud do wit pills??
binsuabraham

Post by binsuabraham »

or can u tell me anythin to test against baterial and other micro-oranganisms?? like herbal stuff or any accessible things???
_Lisa_
Former Expert

Post by _Lisa_ »

Unfortunately I cannot tell you what to do for your science project. I am simply a guide to answer any questions about projects. Look at the Life Sciences Ideas and if you see a project you would like to do, come ask me some questions about it, I'm here to make this process less stressful, but not completely effortless! I would be glad to answer any questions about specific projects. There are so many projects that you can do.
-Lisa
binsuabraham

Post by binsuabraham »

cud u tell me how to obtain bacteria?? nd can i use saliva as a disinfectant...i recently heard sumone say tat
_Lisa_
Former Expert

Post by _Lisa_ »

Bacteria is best obtained from your teacher who can specially order it just for your project. Now, about your question of saliva being a disinfectant, I cannot find a reliable source on the internet. I will however keep searching. There is information about this topic on Wikipedia, but most teachers will not accept this online website as an accurate source. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva) This might bring you a better explanation, but hang tight; I'm still looking.
-Lisa
binsuabraham

Post by binsuabraham »

thank u sooo much....im really desperate...
_Lisa_
Former Expert

Post by _Lisa_ »

Keep looking at projects that interest you; don't narrow yourself to just bacteria and pills. Expand your search on the science fair ideas page. I can guarantee you will find more than one topic in another category that will interest you.
-Lisa
binsuabraham

Post by binsuabraham »

bcuz i was planning on doing tis project
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... m=Home[url]
nd i dont want to do the same exact thing...so i thought of using saliva to test as a disinfectant....but wud tat be sensible to test for an experiment??[/url]

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”