Simple hs project-amoeba?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

melvnatic

Simple hs project-amoeba?

Post by melvnatic »

Hi, I'm looking for a simple HS project that I can do on my own. I'm thinking of testing maybe the effects of different frequencies of sound waves on amoeba--is this something I can do, and if so, are there any things I should know? (complicated equipment, types of amoeba easy to test on if something's going to happen at all). Thank you.
jeffreyshu
Former Expert

Post by jeffreyshu »

If you want to do an experiment as you described, you would need an equipment that can produce different frequencies of sound, preferably one that also tells you what frequency the sound is. You would also need to purchase some amoeba. Although I've never tried to purchase an amoeba, I'm sure it's possible. The next thing you probably want is a microscope to observe the amoeba while you expose it to different frequencies of sound.

Before you go any further, can you please explain why you wanted to do this experiment as I am not aware of sound waves producing any kind of effect on amoeba that can be easily observed. Is there a reason why you wanted to do your experiment on amoeba or on sound waves? Do you have a hypothesis for this experiment? If you can answer these questions, me or another expert can give you feedback if this experiment will meet your expectations.
MaryamM
Former Expert

Post by MaryamM »

melvnatic-

Like Jeffrey, I am wondering what the main goal of your project is. Based on past experiences in biology class, I think that amoebas don't react very well to any stimuli including light and physical/touch.

When you say "simple HS project," do you mean any topic, or is there a specific topic (other than the effects of sound on amoebas), such as zoology or biology, that you are interested in and would like to do a (easy) project on? Narrowing down your field of focus would help us find a topic.

If you really want to work with animals under the microscope, here's an idea. I have seen lots of people do projects subjecting planaria to various conditions and observing any change in their heart rate. The planaria's heart (it is a flatworm) is visible from the outside.

And don't forget to check out the Science Buddies Project Ideas Page. https://www.sciencebuddies.org/mentorin ... deas.shtml

If any of this seems confusing (I know, I crammed a lot into here... :) ) or you need further clarification, feel free to ask any questions! Hope this helps!

Best of luck! :D
~Maryam M.
melvnatic

Post by melvnatic »

Well, I was just curious how different frequency of sound waves affect amoeba. I read a bit about microorganisms reacting negatively to ultrasound, but I guess amoeba don't o.O. Maybe I can find something else to test sound waves on, or should I just throw this out? Thank you.
Grace
Former Expert

Post by Grace »

Hi Melvnatic,

You should look around for more information about whether there's evidence for sound waves producing observable effects on amoebae or other organisms, since it seems like this interests you and it's always good to seek out a project that you'll be excited about.

However, if you cannot find much of anything related to this topic, I would suggest looking into other project ideas. If none of the topics on the Science Buddies Project Ideas page appeal to you (see the link in MaryamM's post above), I like MaryamM's idea of working with planaria (also known as flatworms).

This website suggests methods for finding planaria in the wild, which would be beneficial because you don't have to go and buy them:
http://ebiomedia.com/gall/classics/Plan/plan_about.html

That same page (above) also has some beginning ideas for experiments. If you click on the Regeneration link, you'll find a project idea regarding flatworm regeneration: (http://ebiomedia.com/gall/classics/Plan/plan_regen.html)

Why don't you do some research and some thinking, and if you have specific questions about a project idea and/or hypothesis, you can run it by us and post your concerns on this page.

Happy hunting!
ferfisch
Project Question: Effect of ultrasound on amoebas
Project Due Date: Sotember 2009
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: Simple hs project-amoeba?

Post by ferfisch »

I am starting to work on the effect of ultrasound on amoebas.
Did you have results in your research?
Ben
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Simple hs project-amoeba?

Post by amyc »

Ben - Given that the science fair project you were asking about took place in 2007, it's likely that the student won't see your question. If you would like to start a new thread to post about your project, I'm sure you'll get response from experts to help address questions you may have.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”