rc car aerodynamics

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

ovalreno

rc car aerodynamics

Post by ovalreno »

I have an rc car and whenever i put the back wing on it and slide the rear end my car flips but without it it slides on all four wheels, do you know why that is?
steven wise
Craig_Bridge
Former Expert

Post by Craig_Bridge »

I have an rc car and whenever i put the back wing on it and slide the rear end my car flips but without it it slides on all four wheels, do you know why that is?
Short answer No. Long answer: Not enough information. Some questions that might lead to an anwer:
1) How does the wing affect the center of gravity?
2) What aerodynamic drag does the wing add to forces in the rear end slide in the direction of the slide?
3) Does the rear wing change the down force and thus the speeds at which the slide occurs?
4) Does the rear wing change the lateral acceleration when the rear end breaks into the slide?
5) Does the rear wing cause a down force preload on some suspension spring element that when released cause a force that alters the behavior?

Vehicle dynamics is a complex problem that is very hard to measure and model.
-Craig

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”