Giant Squid

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Amber F.

Giant Squid

Post by Amber F. »

I am an eighth grader at the Gardner School of arts and sciences, and I have to do a report on Giant Squid. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about giant squids, or even answer some questions I have about giant squid:

How did people discover the Giant squid in the first place?
What are some of the most popular myths about the giant squid?
How can the giant squid just let go of its arms without any means of chewing it off or using anything sharp?
Do giant squid glow like most other squid can?
Overall, how is the anatomy of the giant squid even adapted to its marine environment?

Any information would be way more than helpful!!!

Amber F.
I am a student at the Gardner School of Arts and Sciences, and I will be doing many big projects in my last year here. Right now I am doing a big project on giant squid and the whole class is doing oceans.
staryl13
Former Expert
Project Question: Neuroregeneration
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Giant Squid

Post by staryl13 »

Amber F. wrote: I am an eighth grader at the Gardner School of arts and sciences, and I have to do a report on Giant Squid. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about giant squids, or even answer some questions I have about giant squid:

How did people discover the Giant squid in the first place?
What are some of the most popular myths about the giant squid?
How can the giant squid just let go of its arms without any means of chewing it off or using anything sharp?
Do giant squid glow like most other squid can?
Overall, how is the anatomy of the giant squid even adapted to its marine environment?

Any information would be way more than helpful!!!

Hi Amber!
A quick google search should turn up some helpful information. Check out these links:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/12/2 ... ry=animals
http://www.leatherwoodonline.com/tasmania/2004/squid/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_squid
Hope this helped, good luck!

Amber F.
"There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Hello Amber,

As interesting as you question is, since it is a report for school you really won't get a lot of help here. These forums are for students working on a science fair project, not a place for homework help.

I hope you have a good time researching giant squid. For general information, it is always good to consult an encyclopedia (your library will have one) and try a Google search.

Good luck,
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”