science fair project for kindergarten

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

laden96
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

science fair project for kindergarten

Post by laden96 »

My daughter is in kindergarten and she is doing a science fair project. Her topic is to compare the seasons. I have no idea what to do. I was thinking of putting pictures of different seasons on posterboard but I'm not sure if that is good enough. This is my first and only child so I'm not sure what they are looking for at her age. Plus I've never been to one of these before so I don't know what to expect. Any ideas will help.Thanks. :?:
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Re: science fair project for kindergarten

Post by ChrisG »

Hi laden96,
Welcome to the Ask an Expert forum. At a kindergarten level, it should be a low-pressure and supportive experience that will hopefully spark your child's interest in making observations and asking questions about the world. You might want to ask your child to make some observations about the temperature, weather, length of the days, plant growth, or other basic natural phenomena associated with the seasons. They won't be able to observe all the seasons, but you could go outside with them and record her observations of this season. You might also want to ask your daughter if she have any ideas ("hypotheses")about why the seasons are different, and record any hypotheses that she has. If she is feeling very confident, you could even ask her what she would do to try to test whether her hypothesis is correct. I know that at this age there is no reason to expect them to understand the earth's orbit - my 4 1/2 year old son asked me tonight why we do not fall off the bottom of the earth - so we need to be careful not to have too high expectations. Just to encourage their curiosity is a great success.
Good luck!
Regards,
Chris
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by HeatherL »

Hi laden96,

Chris has given you some great advice. I actually like your picture posterboard idea as well! :)

If you are looking for some quantitative (number-based) data to compare, there are a lot of web sites that contain archival data of various weather indices - temperature, rainfall, etc., across the U.S. Your daughter could pick a city, and compare average daily temperature for different seasons, for example. I searched "average daily temperatures" in Google and got several hits. The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) makes these kinds of things available to the public online. Here is one site that offers some maps associated with this: http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/meta/long_242357.htm

It sounds like you have the makings of a great project, no matter what avenue you decide to take. Please don't hesitate to post again.

Good luck!
Heather
Nanyi_09
Project Question: It is a science top that I have to use.
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by Nanyi_09 »

Wow! This is great. I am running a small Phoenix preschool and I was looking for an easy science project for kids. I am surely going to try it when I will be free.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”