Very Urgent Question

This forum is dedicated to students preparing for ISEF. Experts will answer your questions and provide advice based on their first hand ISEF experience. Talk to other students who will be attending and prepare together.

Moderator: berkeleywebs

got2surf
Project Question: Analysis of Sonification (dont want to give it all away ;)
Project Due Date: 2/14/09
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Very Urgent Question

Post by got2surf »

Hey guys,

I've competed in Science Fair, and know my way around them (won at state twice), but have a few questions about the senior category.

The first is the log book. I mostly took blanket entries. HOw many do you think i will need/what is a good amount for the senior division?

The second is research. i have 100-150 pages or so, is this enough for this division?

The final question is is it worth putting everything into sheet protectors, or does that not help?

Basically i'm not sure about the differences in expectations between junior and senior.

thanks a lot,

Neel
amyc
Site Admin
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Very Urgent Question

Post by amyc »

Hi Neel - I apologize that your post hasn't gotten a response yet from an expert. I will see if I can get someone to give you some input.

Amy
Science Buddies
kgudger
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by kgudger »

Hi Neel:

I hope that I can help you, but I will need to ask you some questions first :).

When you say Senior, I assume you mean the senior division of your local county science fair? Or are you talking about your state fair? Since the ISEF is not until May, I will assume you're not talking about what you need for that fair yet. Is this correct?

With regards to the log book, it really depends on each judge. In general, a good log book will document everything you've done, including the failures. Judges like to see the process you went through. This helps them ascertain that you really did the work.

I would think that 100-150 pages of research is more than enough, as long as it's not all repetitive.

Sheet protectors can be a good idea if you're expecting a lot of judges.

The main difference between the junior and senior divisions is one of expectations. In the junior division, novel work is great but not required - one can still win with excellent science and method. By the senior division, we're looking for real results and new and novel research. Winners usually demonstrate work at the college level. Winners that go to ISEF are usually working at the graduate student level. Amazing! It's hard to believe, but that's what is happening.

I hope this helps. Please post any specific questions and I'll try to follow this thread.
Keith
got2surf

Post by got2surf »

Kieth,

Thanks a lot. Yes, by senior division, i do mean at my local fair. Fr my log book, i took pretty thorough notes, but if i researched a topic form jan 1 to jan 14th, i wod just say continue research in my log book. Is this fine?

Also, my project this year is completely novel. It deals with a new method of information communication using the properties of sound, which is a new field. This year my project is just establishing the basics which have not yet been established in this field, and will allow further work on specific scenarios in later years.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Neel
kgudger

Post by kgudger »

Hi Neel:

Saying "continue research" is probably OK, but if you could include some notes on what that means, it would be better. For instance, you might list a few URLs you looked at, or books you read, etc. Any ideas that looked promising that you followed up on are good notes to include too.

Along these lines, since you're claiming novelty (a very hard thing to prove), you might want to mention (briefly) any thing you find which shows that other people, when presented with the same problems you face, pursued different approaches. HTH.

Keith
got2surf

Post by got2surf »

Ok, thanks a lot. I have one final question. Does the text on my board for the questions, procedure, etc have to match my research plan exactly? in essence,they would be the same, but i was thinking of rewording some items to make them more "board friendly" and fit into the presentation better.

Thanks a lot,

got2surf
kgudger

Post by kgudger »

I think that rewording your board display is probably a good idea. It makes the project more interesting. Good luck!

Keith

Return to “Intel ISEF Preparation”