What is the variable?

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

candy00
Project Question: Does age affect the ability to detect salt? I'm not sure what all the variables would be for this experiment.
Project Due Date: March 1, 2010
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

What is the variable?

Post by candy00 »

My project is does age affect the ability to detect salt? I don't know what my variables would be. Please help!! Thank you!
mpphlipot
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What is the variable?

Post by mpphlipot »

Take a look here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ndex.shtml

There are a couple links to articles describing variables. See if those help you out. If you still have questions, let us know.

Mike
ScienceExpert123
Former Expert

Post by ScienceExpert123 »

There are independent and dependent variables:
independent= the constants that are being tested.....so in your case, it would be the age groups being tested
dependent= the experimental data.....so, what are you measuring in what units?= ability to detect salt

good luck,
scienceexpert123
bkkacyem
Project Question: Are dogs colorblind?
Project Due Date: 5/5/10
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by bkkacyem »

The variables of your project are age and salt.
The controlled variable is age.
Bill Kacyem
"Intelligence is a gift. You should use that gift wisely."
Amber_MIT
Former Expert

Post by Amber_MIT »

In addition to what others have said, your controlled variables are what you keep constant for the experiment. You'd want to make sure you give each person the same kind and amount of salt and use the same procedure each time, for example.

I like to remember it this way:

The independent variable is like an independent teenager, he doesn't want to depend on anyone! He is reckless and does crazy things to see what will happen. (the cause)

The dependent variable is the outcome of what the independent teenager does (the effect). In other words, the dependent variable may DEPEND on the independent variable (in some cases the cause and effect aren't related, but that is what you are trying to determine). If the independent teenager is trying to see whether the amount of sleep he gets affects his grades, sleep is the independent variable and his grades are the dependent variable (they might depend on the amount of sleep).

You aren't necessarily able to control the outcome. But you can control certain variables across a set of experiments. If the teenager wanted to be sure that sleep was truly what affected his grade, he would need to make sure that he did the same things every day at the same time, ate the same amount and kind of food each day (especially no caffeine!), etc.
Stuck? Check out our project guides!
Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml
Advanced Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml

Amber Hess
Expert

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”