i NEED HELP!!

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Dominique17
Project Question: Which popcorn pops faster microwave or stove?
Project Due Date: may 27,2010
Project Status: I am just starting

i NEED HELP!!

Post by Dominique17 »

Im helping my little sister with her science project but it must be comparison and she wants to do "which pops faster microwave popcorn or on the stove?" and i need help getting this started.
MelissaB

Re: i NEED HELP!!

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

This sounds like it could be a really interesting project. What you probably want to start with is some background research--you should find out how and why popcorn pops, and then how microwaves and the stove both heat up food.

In terms of the actual experimental design, you will want to do 6-10 trials where you time how long it takes to pop popcorn on the stove and in the microwave. I'd suggest doing one kernel at a time, unless you're looking at whether instant popcorn in bags pops faster than the 'real' popcorn on the stove.

Let us know if you have more questions!
Dominique17

Post by Dominique17 »

Thanks alot that really helped,so now im doing some research but i need to know is this a good hypothesis "If i pop microwave and stove popcorn at da same time,then microwave popcorn will pop faster.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Your hypothesis should be based on your background research, so you should do some reading before you decide what your hypothesis is.

Otherwise, the structure of the hypothesis is mostly okay; my only suggestion is to get rid of 'at the same time.' It's not important whether or not you pop the popcorn at the same time, and the popcorn will either pop faster in the microwave or on the stove regardless of if you do them at the same time or at different times.
Dominique17

Post by Dominique17 »

Thanks...now im getting started on the research paper but i need to knw exactly how should i set it up.I've got the answer to all the questions i needed answered.
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Science Buddies has some great information on what to include in a research paper, here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... aper.shtml . You will also need to ask your sister if her teacher asked for anything specific or different from what Science Buddies recommends.

Good luck!
Dominique17

Post by Dominique17 »

Ok so i look at the example and everything so i hae another question...is she suppose to include the question in the research paper?
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

Normally, yes, you include the question in the research paper. But, you should follow the guidelines that your teacher gave your younger sister--if that says not to include the question, then don't include the question.
Dominique17

Post by Dominique17 »

Ok...she did the research paper and actually i think its very good..is it a way i could attach to a message so that you can read it?
Amber_MIT
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by Amber_MIT »

Hi Dominique17,

To attach a file, just click on "Post Reply" then look at the tabs under the text area (where you would write a reply). The tabs are "Options" and "Upload Attachment." Click on "Upload Attachment" and you can attach a file from there.
Stuck? Check out our project guides!
Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml
Advanced Project Guide: http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-f ... ndex.shtml

Amber Hess
Expert
Dominique17

Post by Dominique17 »

Ok thanks
jeanlerymc
Project Question: none
Project Due Date: none

Post by jeanlerymc »

That is a great topic for a science project but it is already defined by many. The topic is very simple, you will just find out which is faster in popping out a popcorn-using microwave or a stove. Basically, science activities need experimentation so you can formulate hypothesis and conclusions. You don't need a theory because you will end up grasping for some factual information that could really support your main reason.
[url=http://www.computerseo.com]seo services[/url]

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”