Project Variables

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

aleccferguson
Project Question: how salty does the sea have to be for different materials to float on it.
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Project Variables

Post by aleccferguson »

I'm doing my science fair project on salinity. Should I use both salinty and water temperature as variables?

Thank you,
Alec
nithintumma
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Project Variables

Post by nithintumma »

Firstly, I would recommend making further posts in the Grade 6-8 Physical Science forum, this way experts with knowledge in your field of study will be able to help you.
I see that your experiment is determining the level of salinity required for different objects to float. In this case, you should not use temperature as a variable. If you altered the water temperature, you would not be sure if the change in buoyancy is a result of the change in salinity or because of the change in temperature. You should keep the temperature constant and the amount of salt in the water should be your independent variable (the variable that you change). Your dependant variable will be the density of the material that is able to float at each level of salinity.

Hope this helps, and Good luck with your project,
Nithin T

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”