science fair graphs

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

vice
Project Question: slime mold
Project Due Date: start nov but end jan
Project Status: I am just starting

science fair graphs

Post by vice »

I just showed my teacher my graphs and he shot them down. I did experiment where I had a slime mold and two possible paths for it to take with food at exit. I had two controls that didn't finish test. I had ten testing plates where 6 finished shortest path ( route 1), 0 took second path, and 4 I couldn't tell which came first because it had finished both when I looked.I did a bar graph where the vertical axis was path taken(1,2,or can't tell) and horizontal was how many test plates took each path. He said I should include controls? I did a second part where I put some slime mold and food at entrance and at exit and said which path showed thickest growth. I did pie graph showing 60% were thicker path 1, 0% path 2 and 40% were equal 1 and 2. He confused me trying to say how to change. Help!
MelissaB

Re: science fair graphs

Post by MelissaB »

Hi,

Personally, I would go with a pie graph, one each for control, without food, and with food, showing the percentage of trials with each outcome. Can you try to tell us what your teacher told you, though? I would hate to give conflicting advice.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”