fungus on a hard surface

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

vice
Project Question: slime mold
Project Due Date: start nov but end jan
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: fungus on a hard surface

Post by vice »

Just when I thought I was done. My teacher can't decide which category this falls into? Medicine and health sciences, microbiology, or consumer science/product testing? Thanks. Vice
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Vice,

Your project would fit well into any of these categories. If you discussed the health implications of your results in you project, then it would do well in the medicine and health sciences section. Otherwise, it would definitely fit into the microbiology category. I think the consumer science/product testing section would be my last choice. If you have any idea which section will have fewer projects, then pick that category. In some science fairs, there are a limited number of blue ribbons awarded, so it’s a better strategy to be 1 out 5 projects rather than 1 out of 20. You actually don’t have to worry too much about this decision because if the judges think your project was entered into the wrong section, they can move it during the judging.

I hope this helps. Don’t forget to let me know about the fair results.

Donna
vice
Project Question: slime mold
Project Due Date: start nov but end jan
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by vice »

I was in the microbiology section last year and the other projects were way over my head. I thought health since my idea behind it was to show how noncompliance can be dangerous. Vice
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Vice,

If you did include the discussion about the risk of noncompliance, then your project would fit perfectly into the health section. I do agree that this would be a good choice, especially since you can explain the health implications of your project.

I think you are done with the project now. Good luck at the science fair!

Donna

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”