My project did not work?!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

prince200
Project Question: do potatoes regulate the formation of new roots
Project Due Date: april 2,2012
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

My project did not work?!

Post by prince200 »

I did my project,but it did not work. So I would like to know what I did wrong. My project is "Do potatoes regulate the grownth of new roots?" I put the potatoes in my garage but they turned out rotten. I tighten the bags with rubber bands;and no roots came out:?

Sincerly Yours,
Prince200
heloise
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: My project did not work?!

Post by heloise »

Hello Prince200,

One reason I could think of that would explain why your potatoes didn't produce any roots would be the temperature. What was the temperature in your garage?
Usually potatoes are stored from 35 up to 50 degrees, to prevent them from germinating, so if you want the potatoes to germinate, the temperature should be higher.

Also, did you use paper bags? I would think that plastic bags would not let the air through, and thus lead the potatoes to rot.

Let me know if this helps, and in any case, don't let the disappointment lead you away from experimenting again!

Heloise
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Prince 200,

I think you did this project from the Science Buddies website, and it is a really great project:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p017.shtml

Heloise has given you some really good suggestions that might explain why you didn’t obtain the expected results. The temperature, oxygen, and light conditions are really important for potatoes to grow roots. From Heloise’s suggestions, do you know what was different in your experiment compared to the project guide that might have caused the potatoes to rot?

I would like to add some additional comments. First, is not possible for a science project not to work or to have the wrong results; you have set up a controlled experiment and obtained results. So, when you write up your results, you should not say that your experiment did not work. You should describe your experiment, state your hypothesis, and present your results (no roots, rotten potatoes). You will have to say that your hypothesis was not correct, but you can do some additional background research and explain what happened, and perhaps describe what you would do differently if you were to do the project again.

Since the conditions in your experiment were not optimum for potato growth, your project actually turned into a microbiology project. There are lots of bacteria that grow on potatoes called soft rot bacteria.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3106.html

The bacteria were probably present on the potatoes when you started the experiment, and since your experiment did not provide conditions that allowed potatoes to grow, the bacteria were able to take over and use the potato as a food source. You should go ahead and write up your results and start working on your project board. Since this is a science project, it’s really important to communicate your results.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... oard.shtml

Here is an advanced project idea on composting. Read the introduction of this project to learn more about what may have happened in your experiment.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p035.shtml

Also, since your project is not due until April 2, while you are writing up your results, you could also set up your experiment again and see what happens.

Good luck!

Donna Hardy
prince200

Post by prince200 »

Dear Donna Hardy,

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it; I'll try what you suggested.

Sincerly Yours,
Prince200
prince200

Post by prince200 »

Dear Heloise,

Thank you for your help; I owe you one.

Prince200
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Prince 200,

You are more than welcome! Thank-you for your reply. I’m very happy that our suggestions are helpful to you. I think your project will be excellent if you understand the science behind what happened and can communicate the results on your board. Let us know if you have any more questions as you are completing your project.

Donna
prince200

Post by prince200 »

Hi,i did the project over i put the potatoes in paper bags in two weeks,but i only saw tiny white buds are those roots or what?

sincerly
prince200
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Prince,

Congratulations. You obtained the expected results this time. If conditions were dark, those little white buds are potato roots starting to grow. If there was any light available, you might have potato sprouts. Was there any difference in the number of white buds between the control and experimental group?

Donna Hardy
prince200

Post by prince200 »

Dear Donna,

What do you mean by "Was there any difference in the numberof white buds between
the control and experimental group?" Also if I needed to write it in report form would I
say that the buds are roots or what? And thank you again very very much,I really appre-
ciate it.

Sincerely,
Prince200
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Prince,

If it was dark in the paper bags, the buds were roots. If you are not certain, then just call them roots. Does this help?

Donna
prince200

Post by prince200 »

Hi Donna ,

I have tried 3 times to post my results and ask you some questions unsuccessfully. Now I would like to post my results again and see If you could get them and help me out. For the first graph I do not see a correlation. For bag # 1, I counted 16 buds ; for bag #2 I counted 10 and 7,; for bag#3 , 12,3,6 ; for #4 6,3,12,2 ; for #5 ,5,5,1,2,9 ; for #6 ,7,3,1,2,1,2; for #7 , 4,2,3,0,2,6,3 ; for #8 , 2,8,1,4,2,3,2,2 . Then I looked for average " of roots per piece grown . For bag #1 it is 16 ;for bag#2 it is 8 1/2 ; for bag # 3 it is 7 ; for bag #4 it is 5 3/5 ; for bag # 5 it is 4 2/5 ; for bag #6 it is 2 2/3 and for bag #7 it is 2 6/7 ; for bag #8 it is 3. I do not see a correlation. total foe each bag is as follows bag #1 it is 16; for bag #2 it is 17; bag 3 it is 21; bag 4 it is 23; bAG 5 IT IS 22 ;BAG 6 IT IS 16 ; BAG 7 IT IS 20 ; Bag 8 it is 24 . do you see a correlation? Sould there be any? how to make my conclusion? thanks.

prince 200
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Prince 200,

Thanks for posting your data. I’m sure there is a correlation and a conclusion that will evident as soon as the results are graphed. I’m not sure what to say right now, but I’ll look more closely at the data and post again tomorrow with some suggestions and an explanation that should help you. This is great! It’s nice to have some data to analyze.

Donna Hardy
prince200

Post by prince200 »

Hi,Donna

Thanks,I'll be wait for the answer.

Prince200
donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

Hi Prince 200,

Your results are excellent. I have posted Excel x-y graphs of the data graphed as suggested in the project guide. I hope you can open the links. Graph number one shows the total number of roots in each bag on the y-axis and number of pieces in the bag on the x-axis. Graph number 2 shows the average number of roots per piece on the y-axis vs. the number of pieces in each bag on the x-axis. Does one graph look more or less like a straight line and the other graph show a trend? Did you happen to count the number of “eyes” on each potato? Did all of the eyes form buds? Please let me know what you think the graphs say about your results.

Do you know how to use Excel to make a graph like this? If you have Excel, let me know and I’ll explain how to do this. If you don’t have Excel, you can transfer the graphs by hand and do hand-written graphs for your project board.

Please also let me know what information you have for the following questions:

1. What is your hypothesis?

2. What references do you have for auxins? This information should be in your background section. Also include general information on plant growth.

The science fair judges will be looking at your project to see if you understand the science behind your project, and whether or not you have conducted a well-controlled experiment. Be sure and explain what your independent variable and dependent variable are, and list all of the conditions that were controlled.

I would also recommend including a brief summary of the results of your first results, even though it turned into a composting experiment. The science fair judges will be impressed that you repeated your experiment.

Let me know if there’s anything you don’t understand. You still have time to do a really great write up.

Donna Hardy

[The extension xls has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

donnahardy2
Former Expert

Post by donnahardy2 »

[The extension xls has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”