need help quick

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

fofo17
Project Question: a quantitative science fair project
Project Due Date: tomorrow
Project Status: I am just starting

need help quick

Post by fofo17 »

there was a topic in this site about a deadly disease i couldn't find it
it was a quantitative idea

and also i'd like to ask is the following project idea a quantitative idea or qualitative idea
if it's qualitative can you give me a few quantitative project ideas?

answer me quick tomorrow's my project due date!!!!
fofo17
Project Question: a quantitative science fair project
Project Due Date: tomorrow
Project Status: I am just starting

Re: need help quick

Post by fofo17 »

forget to attach the idea i asked about it's this one
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p003.shtml
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by audreyln »

Hopefully I'm not too late - yes, this project, "How Salty Does the Sea Have to Be for an Egg to Float?" is a quantitative project.

Good luck!

Audrey
oliveoil3
Project Question: Orange Juice VS sport drinks
Project Due Date: January 7, 2014
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by oliveoil3 »

HELP!!!! I researched Science Buddies for my science fair project idea and chose Electrolyte Challenge: Orange Juice VS Sports Drinks and added a few of my own ideas. My question is I am not sure why the example of this project uses tap H2O and distilled H2O as the study is looking at the electrolyte levels from orange juice vs sport drinks? Please help shed some light. I did the experiment and used OJ, Powerade, and Gatorade and I did follow all of the steps in the example project on Science Buddies. I am not real sure why the project tested tap/distilled water. Help!!! I am analyzing my data and putting charts and graphs together to hand in January 7, 2014, 2 days from now. I want to have a sound understanding of the entire project.
rmarz
Expert

Post by rmarz »

oliveoil3 - The testing of distilled and tap water help establish a baseline comparison for yor analysis of the sports drink. The distilled water has very few ionized elements and will register a near 'zero' measurement. Tap water may contain many many other dissolved minerals and other 'ionized' components, and register a low reading, but nothing even close to the sports drink. It serves as a measured comparison to your sports drink observations. It is like a 'control' element.

Rick Marz
oliveoil3

Post by oliveoil3 »

Thank you Mark for your quick response. I thought maybe it would be a baseline but was not sure. You are correct, the distilled H2O does not show any data on the bar graph that I used to show my results. The tap water shows some electrolytes. OJ registered the greatest amount of electrolytes. I also asked an additional question under a new topic concerning the same study. If you have time, could you look at the additional question and let me know your thoughts. Thanks again, I really appreciate your time.
rmarz
Expert

Post by rmarz »

oliveoil3 - Your measurements are very consistent with the results I obtain when doing this experiment. I'm not sure what your other question was as this topic seems to be several threads that are very different, starting out with a reference to a deadly disease, then changing to the buoyancy of an egg in seawater, then your question about the electrolyte experiment. How can I help?

Rick Marz
oliveoil3

Post by oliveoil3 »

Thanks for your quick response. I just tagged my question on to the quick response. I was not sure what format to use to ask my questions. My question regarding the electrolyte project has nothing to do with the other topics. I just rode on their coat tails for a "quick response". Thank you. I also wanted to know if my data seemed accurate. You indicated that it does. I wanted your opinion for a few other questions. Is the controlled variable for the elecrtrolyte project the 200 microamps for distilled water and 200 milliamps for all other drinks? Would the independent variable be the different liquids used for the experiment? I used the same liquids for each test(all at room temperature), orange Gatorade, orange PowerAde, and Orange Juice. I would not include tap/distilled water for an independent variable since tat is the baseline, right? I am just not sure how to address the tap/distilled water other than they were used as a baseline. The third variable I am looking for is the dependent variable. Would the dependent variable be the amount of electrolytes found in each liquid? I had to do two conversions to solve for the conductance also known as the Siemens or electrolytes. I feel it is important to show the judges the two conversions to solve for the electrolyte levels. First I had to convert the data to amps. Second I had to convert the amps to Siemens/electrolytes by using the formula G (Siemens)=current divided by voltage. Please keep in mind that I conducted 10 trials. I tested all 5 liquids with the meter 10 different times. In between each test, I washed and rinsed the bowls with distilled water. I was careful not to contaminate any part of the testing process. Your thoughts???
rmarz
Expert

Post by rmarz »

oliveoil3 - I think your procedures were very precise so you should have a well documented experiment. In this case, you are measuring conductance of the electrolyte (the reciprocal of resistance). I would say that the independent variable is the electrical current setup made up of the battery and current sensing resistance, internal to the multimeter. The dependent variables would be the results that indicate a wide range of conductance values from your various electrolytes. In that you have been meticulous in your procedure it should be mentioned that my changing the range setup of the multimeter, say from 200 microamps to 200 milliamps, the internal resistance of the multimeter shunt probably varies, so you don't have a perfectly constant independent variable. To eliminate that variable, try to do all your measurements using the same multimeter range, the 200 milliamp range. In addition, the battery terminal voltage can change with use, again changing, even slightly, the independent variable. This experiment tends to ignore those small differences, but they can effect your measurements so you might want to discuss in your experiment written document. Good luck, good work.

Rick Marz
oliveoil3

Post by oliveoil3 »

Thank you very for your time and help.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”