Veggie Power

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

alisaalligood
Project Question: veggie power science project, my 9 year old son whom is in 3rd grade is wanting to know how we can connect our veggie power to a light bulb instead of a calculator and what size LED light bulb do we use ? Also, what is a "Resistor 10Kohm"?
Project Due Date: The project has several due dates based on the information the teacher is requesting, they vary from December 12,2012 - February 11,2013 which is the last day before the grading of the information and project.
Project Status: I am just starting

Veggie Power

Post by alisaalligood »

To Whom It May Concern, veggie power science project, my 9 year old son whom is in 3rd grade is wanting to know how we can connect our veggie power to a light bulb instead of a calculator and what size LED light bulb should we use? Also, what is a "Resistor 10Kohm" ? We greatly appreciate any help we can get, this is his first project. I haven't had to work on a science project in many of years, I feel a bit lost, yet excited for him. :? Sincerely, Alisa Alligood
ChiaraB
Former Expert
Project Question: Science Buddies Mentor
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Veggie Power

Post by ChiaraB »

Hello,
The vegetable battery is a classic project. A light bulb can be used rather than a calculator, though I would suggest using a tiny incandescent light bulb or "miniature lamp" rather than an LED since you can easily find one at a store like Radio Shack that lights at just 1.5 volts -what the procedure indicated the vegetable battery would provide. The resistor is used in Experiment 1 to show that adding resistance to the battery lowers the voltage read by the voltmeter. 10 kohm (kilo-ohm) simply refers to the amount of resistance it applies, and you can find a resistor at an electronics store as well. A resistor is necessary for Experiment 1 or other explorations of resistance but it is not necessary for creating the vegetable battery or powering the light.
I hope this helps, have fun working on this project with your son!
alisaalligood
Project Question: veggie power science project, my 9 year old son whom is in 3rd grade is wanting to know how we can connect our veggie power to a light bulb instead of a calculator and what size LED light bulb do we use ? Also, what is a "Resistor 10Kohm"?
Project Due Date: The project has several due dates based on the information the teacher is requesting, they vary from December 12,2012 - February 11,2013 which is the last day before the grading of the information and project.
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by alisaalligood »

Thank you very much for all your help. We will let yall know how everything turns out and what he receives after the fair.
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by theborg »

alisaalligood wrote:To Whom It May Concern, veggie power science project, my 9 year old son whom is in 3rd grade is wanting to know how we can connect our veggie power to a light bulb instead of a calculator and what size LED light bulb should we use? Also, what is a "Resistor 10Kohm" ? We greatly appreciate any help we can get, this is his first project. I haven't had to work on a science project in many of years, I feel a bit lost, yet excited for him. :? Sincerely, Alisa Alligood
Alisaalligood,

I noticed from your post that the final due date isn't for a few more weeks. I just thought I'd follow up and see how the experiment is going and if you had any additional questions.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”