Balloons, baking soda & vinegar

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

brod1
Project Question: I am working my 3rd grader to coduct the balloon blow up experiment w/vinegar and baking soda. I've read on different boards to make it a "true" experiment vs a demonstration to answer questions like "does water temp affect how fast the ballon fills up" but, the experiment does not require water..I am confused. How can I use different tests to show results for this experiment for my son's science fair project? Thanks.
Project Due Date: March 23, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Balloons, baking soda & vinegar

Post by brod1 »

what kind of "testing" can be conducted during this experiment? How can we put more into the experiment other than the obvious baking soda and vinegar blowing up the balloon demonstration?
arasson
Former Expert
Project Question: to be an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Balloons, baking soda & vinegar

Post by arasson »

Hi Brod1,

One idea that comes to mind is to test 1. if this reaction produces carbon dioxide, and 2. if carbon dioxide is heavier than air.

You first would place a small candle in a clear tall glass and light it. Then in a different container such as a empty coffee can you would add 2tbs of baking soda and quickly pour in 3tbs of vinegar. The reaction will release carbon dioxide. After the reaction stops fizzing (~3sec) you can "pour" the carbon dioxide into the glass with the candle in it. The candle should go out proving the reaction created carbon dioxide and that it is heavier than air! As a null hypothesis you can use an empty coffee can to try and "pour" air into the glass with the candle to show that the candle will not go out. I hope this helps!

Good luck!

arasson
brod1
Project Question: I am working my 3rd grader to coduct the balloon blow up experiment w/vinegar and baking soda. I've read on different boards to make it a "true" experiment vs a demonstration to answer questions like "does water temp affect how fast the ballon fills up" but, the experiment does not require water..I am confused. How can I use different tests to show results for this experiment for my son's science fair project? Thanks.

Post by brod1 »

Thanks, I like it...... but, I think it may be too much for a 3rd grader to comprehend. Do you think if we tested if the vinegar was "hot or cold", if it makes a difference w/the baking soda - would that make sense?
arasson
Former Expert
Project Question: to be an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by arasson »

Hum, What if you measured the size of the balloon from a reaction with LESS vinegar and baking soda and one with MORE baking soda and vinegar. You can make a hypothesis such as : The more reagents you add, the more gas you will release making the balloon larger.
brod1

Post by brod1 »

That's a great idea!!

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”