worm regeneration project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

benedict13
Project Question: worm regeneration
Project Due Date: april 1, 2013
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

worm regeneration project

Post by benedict13 »

we need help. our worms have been cut into halves and thirds to observe their regeneration BUT 2 of 3 worms have died! what could we do to help the ones that are alive? do they need watering every day? a change in compost where they're kept? help? what did we do wrong?
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: worm regeneration project

Post by HeatherL »

Hi benedict13,

Welcome to Science Buddies! It sounds like you're doing this very interesting project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p011.shtml

Did both of your cut worms die? Is your control worm still alive? Or are some of the cut segments still alive?

It may be that your worms could not tolerate being cut into halves or thirds. Remember that you should have one control worm that did not get cut, one worm cut into two halves, and one worm cut into thirds. You should observe each part of the worm separately.

If your control worm (uncut) died, then you may have conditions that do not work well for your worms. That is why you do a control!

Please let me know more about your results, and I'll do my best to help you interpret them.

Heather
murwarid3
Project Question: I would love to be involved in helping the young scientist community, by giving advice and encouragement to do their best. It's important for young kids to gain and seek knowledge by others, and I am willing to do serve as this role.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: worm regeneration project

Post by murwarid3 »

Hello,

I have have had experience with a project similar to yours. I believe the worms cannot live without water. The worms tend to die with not enough water, as it did with my experiences.

For a recommendation, I would add a larger amount of water(make sure it stays constant) for the worms.

If you have any questions, feel free to reply back.

Thanks,
Murwarid Rahimi

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”