Correct Data

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

tbernatLTIN
Project Question: To learn more about science through Life Technologies as a freshman honor student
Project Due Date: April 19th 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Correct Data

Post by tbernatLTIN »

Dear Science Buddies,
My science project group did your project, "How Much DNA Can You Fit Into a Nucleus". According to our results, the size of a nucleus depends on the genome's size. Is this correct?
Thanks!
tbernatLTIN
Project Question: To learn more about science through Life Technologies as a freshman honor student
Project Due Date: April 19th 2013
Project Status: I am just starting

Correct Data

Post by tbernatLTIN »

Dear Science Buddies,
My science project group did your project, "How Much DNA Can You Fit Into a Nucleus". According to our results, the size of a nucleus depends on the genome's size. Is this correct? Also, how long have you been working as a scientist and what is your favorite field of science?
Thanks!
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Correct Data

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi,

That's a great question - I did some searching but couldn't find a definitive answer on that. Based on what I know about cell biology, I think, yes, genome size (or chromosome #) probably is one factor that determines the size of the nucleus. Also to be considered: the overall size of the cell, it's current phase of the cell cycle, it's usual phase of the cell cycle and the type of cell.

Great project. Very interesting work there!

Tonya :)
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Correct Data

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi again, I answered your first question in the other post. Your second question - I worked as a scientist for 5 years in a research laboratory at a cancer hospital. Then, I have worked for more than 6 years as a scientist with Life Technologies, so that's about 11 years total now. My favorite field of science is biology, but I LOVE astronomy, too.

Tonya

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”