creating water clock

A forum for educators who are organizing and/or running a school or local science fair, working with in-class science projects or assignments, and other STEM issues.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger

tlyngee1
Project Question: designing a water clock
Project Due Date: march 1st
Project Status: I am just starting

creating water clock

Post by tlyngee1 »

I am creating a water clock for a class project. I have a flower pot filled with water that drips water into a glass vase under it. The glass vase contains a wooden dowel and cork attachment. The goal is for the dowel and cork to float in the water as the vase fills with water. This is not happening. I have changed the wooden dowel to straws. I assumed that that wood was too heavy, but I am still experiencing the same problem. The cork is not floating in the water, therefore I can't measure the level of water. I am sure I could just simply measure with a ruler, but it would take away from the project. I am trying to avoid cutting the cork. Not sure if that is the issue. Any suggestions on what I could use instead of a cork?
Limeybean
Former Expert
Project Question: Science Fairs are Awesome!
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: creating water clock

Post by Limeybean »

Hi tlyngee1,

So the cork will not float in water at all? Do you have another Cork that you could try? You could try something made out of foam. Do you have an old water noodle or flip flop that you could cut up? You could glue the dowel (or straw) to a ping pong ball or a ruber ducky =).

Good Luck,
Emily
AllisonGardner
Project Question: mass media research paper

Post by AllisonGardner »

Wow! the project sounds really interesting. I was very interested to know about such creative project ideas.
AllisonGardner
Project Question: mass media research paper

Post by AllisonGardner »

Wow! the project sounds really interesting. I was very interested to know about such creative project ideas.
Stacy_2
Project Question: tooth whitening
Project Due Date: 23/12/2013
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by Stacy_2 »

nice post !

Return to “Science Teachers: Fairs, Projects, and General Support”