Afterimages

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

scibuddy23178
Project Question: Afterimages
Project Due Date: Feb 20th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Afterimages

Post by scibuddy23178 »

Hi,
I am doing a project on "Will the afterimage be the same as the real image ?"
Also I took few trials by looking at a tricolored circle(red,blue and green in the real image) for 30 secs .The afterimage what I see is a circle with yellow,cyan ,and majenta.
I then noted which colors in the afterimage fades fast.My trials show that yellow color fades faster , followed by cyan and then majenta.
My question is "What is the scientific explanation for why some colors fade faster than others?" Is it because some cone cells recover faster than others?
I am looking for a valid reasoning and explanation behind this.Any help on this subject is highly appreciated.
Thanks.
khufker
Former Expert
Project Question: Inclusion Programs
Project Due Date: 2/1/13

Re: Afterimages

Post by khufker »

That seems like a cool project! Have you read the project idea on afterimages? You can find it here https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary. The background for the project should give you the information you need, but just let me know if you have any more questions.
Good Luck!
Katie
scibuddy23178
Project Question: Afterimages
Project Due Date: Feb 20th

Post by scibuddy23178 »

Thank you for the reply.
It is from the link I got this project idea.
I went through the project background,but I couldn't find why yellow in my afterimage faded faster followed by cyan and majenta.
Is it because blue cone cells recover faster followed by red cone cells and then green cone cells?

Thanks.
HeatherL
Former Expert
Project Question: How do different animals adapt to their environment?
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by HeatherL »

Hi there,
scibuddy23178 wrote:I couldn't find why yellow in my afterimage faded faster followed by cyan and majenta.
Is it because blue cone cells recover faster followed by red cone cells and then green cone cells?
Yes, if you used the tri-color circle in the Science Buddies project, then your reasoning is correct. Your blue cone cells recovered fastest, followed by the red cone cells and then the green.

Nice job!

Heather

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”