Help with Real World Application

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

Ermergerd
Project Question: What is the effect of distractions on human time perception?
Project Due Date: 2/18/2014
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Help with Real World Application

Post by Ermergerd »

My experiment is the effect of distractions on the human time perception where I would test each participants three time: one trial with no distractions, one trial with a persistent distraction (a distracting audio noise that was played through all of the participant's counting) and a trial with a short distraction (played in the middle of the participant's counting to try to distract them or startle them). I have concluded the experiment but I don't know what the real world application of my project would be! I am supposed to explain my experiment in front of the class tomorrow, to practice talking in front of a judge and I know what I'm going to say about my experiment overall but I haven't quite got this part down. :( HELP ASAP.
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Help with Real World Application

Post by dcnick96 »

Hi. Congratulations on finishing your project! Wow, the list of real-world applications is endless. Think of any activity that requires concentration. Think of your distractions as background noise. People react to background noises differently. Some have easier times than others tuning out the background noise so that it doesn't distract them. Also, the kind of background noise can have an effect. If a noise is in the background on a consistent basis, do you think it is easier or harder to ignore in the long run, versus a noise that happens only every so often?

Think about when you do your homework or are taking a test. Can you do well on your homework if the tv / radio is on, if there are pans clanging in the kitchen, or a younger sibling is being loud? What about noises in the classroom when taking a test? Can you concentrate if someone is smacking their gum loudly or knocking their pencil on the desk?

I do statistical analysis in my job. I work in an office that can be quite noisy with conversation. I find it difficult to concentrate with conversations stopping and starting, folks walking in and out, etc. However, I find I can concentrate better when I put headphones on and listen to soft music. The music is a constant background noise that tunes out the other distractions.

Think about a doctor performing surgery. Do you think their concentration is broken if someone suddenly started banging a hammer in the background?

What other activities can you think of that require concentration? For your presentation to the judges, I would have three examples ready to go.

I hope this helps. Write back if you have any more questions, and good luck!
Deana

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”