Bristlebots

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

noemiaprada1969
Project Question: Hello , my son is 8 years old, 3rd grader, and he is going to particiopate in a science fair. His project is inpired by one we saw on your site: Racing bristlebots (vibro-robot). Question: Is there a way to make a bristlebot go straight? To move forward without circles? Any help on this would be really appreciated. Best, Noemia Prada
Project Due Date: april-may
Project Status: I am just starting

Bristlebots

Post by noemiaprada1969 »

Anyone did a science fair project with bristlebots? ? Is there a way to make them move forward? My son, 3rd grader, is participating in a science fair and he loves those mini robots. Thank you, in advance, to everybody who might help :))) We got the idea from this site. Science Buddies has been such a great help in our science fair project research ;))) Best, Noémia Prada
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Bristlebots

Post by theborg »

noemiaprada1969,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your question. Sorry for the delay in responding. The bristlebots are by design ones that move somewhat randomly based on a vibrating motor and the type and direction of the bristles. By experimenting with the shape of the bristles where they contact the surface it is on, perhaps you could influence the forces in a particular direction. For example, maybe shortening the front bristles so the whole thong leans forward. Not sure what the right combination of bristle configuration and motor placement would give the desired motion, but it would be fun to figure it out...

I hope this answer helps and isn't too late for you.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”