Geothermal Energy Heat Right Under Your Feet Data

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

epicquad4
Project Question: geothermal data results confusion
Project Due Date: 3/15/2014
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Geothermal Energy Heat Right Under Your Feet Data

Post by epicquad4 »

My daughter has done her research as well as her experiment for her 5th grade science fair project on geothermal energy - The Power of Heat is Right Under Your Feet! She conducted these with adult supervision on her own, but I must say I was surprised as to the result of the number of pinwheel rotations. She conducted several experiments (1 center hole, 9 holes around edge of foil with 1 center hole and 20 holes around edge of foil with 1 center hole) at a height of 6 inches and 8 inches both with and without the can. My surprise was that the number of rotations of the pinwheel decreased from the 1 center hole to the 9+1 hole experiment, but then increased with the 20+1 hole experiment. Does that sound right - number starts, goes down and then back up? I would have assumed that the pinwheel rotations would constantly increase with the number of holes increasing, not go from 10 rotations, to 7 rotations up to 17 rotations (all without a can at 6 inches). And then with a can at 6 inches from 7 rotations, 2 rotations and 6 rotations. And was also surprised that the number of rotations with the can experiment were less than without the can.

Do these results make sense? Any feedback would be much appreciated. I'm trying very hard to let her do as much of this on her own and don't want to discourage her by stepping in to "redo" the results. Thank you for any assistance you can provide!!!
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Geothermal Energy Heat Right Under Your Feet Data

Post by theborg »

epicquad4,

Thank you for your question. The best part of science is when you get a counter-intuitive result. However, these are the most difficult to defend because you must show rigorous attention to all the variables and show repeatability. In your case, how many times did she repeat the experiment? If she did less that 3 runs of all cases then results could be held suspect. Also, there are some control variables, such as the level of water, heat setting on stove, temp of water, placement of pinwheel over heat source, timing of experiment, etc...

Remember, there are no wrong answers in science. There are only the observed results for the given test conditions. Our job is to document those results, the conditions they were taken under, and what we could do to refine those results. If the results are accurate, I would say it has something to do with how the steam diffused out of the holes but it is hard to say without seeing what the test setup looked like.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”