Need help with HYPOTHESIS

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

UPennGrad
Project Question: I am doing a project about which bubble solution (detergent only, detergent +glycerin, detergent + syrup) makes the bubbles that last a long time before they pop. I can not come up with a Hypothesis. Please help. Thanks
Project Due Date: May 6th, 2014
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Need help with HYPOTHESIS

Post by UPennGrad »

Hi-

My daughter is doing her Science Fair Project on which bubbles last the longest before they pop when made with:

Detergent ONLY
Detergent + Glycerin
Detergent + Light Corn Syrup

We are having a hard time coming up with the Hypothesis. I know that it is written with "IF as the first word in the statement and "THEN" in the middle of the statement...

Thanks so much!
KJB in NYC
khufker
Former Expert
Project Question: Inclusion Programs
Project Due Date: 2/1/13
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Re: Need help with HYPOTHESIS

Post by khufker »

Hi,
Is this the project you are doing https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#summary? It looks like a fun one!
You might of seen this, but here is some more general information about forming a hypothesis https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ml#keyinfo.
You are correct in that it should be worded if (followed by one case of your independent variable, in your case, one type of bubble solution), then (some thing to do with your dependent variable, in your case, likely about how long the bubble lasts). You and your daughter will have to do a little background research on her topic to figure out exactly what you want to plug in. :)
Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
Katie
Schmetterling14
Project Question: No science project here. Just looking to help out.
Project Due Date: June 15,2014
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by Schmetterling14 »

HI,
I would have your daughter use Detergent only bubbles be her control group since there are no additives. So I would say something like " If bubbles using Detergent only take X-seconds to pop then bubbles that are made with Detergent and an additive should last longer/ last not as long ( that part you and your daughter can decide which to use)". Make sure she uses a three column table and at least 5-10 rows so that you can keep track of how long the bubbles last and have a decent little sample size.
Best of luck and please let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Steph from OR
connief
Former Expert
Project Question: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Due Date: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.

Post by connief »

Hello there,

To add on to the excellent advice that has already been given by the other experts, another thing to think about is why glycerin and light corn syrup is tested. Is it known how adding glycerin and corn syrup to detergent changes the solution? Doing a bit of research on these aspects may give you some background information to provide reasons for why you hypothesized what you did. In other words, if you predict that the bubbles will last longer or last shorter, why do you hypothesize that based on what is known about solutions of detergent + glycerin or + corn syrup?

Connie
Nanyi_09
Project Question: It is a science top that I have to use.
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by Nanyi_09 »

thanks for post.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”