Blubber

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

teacherto2
Project Question: What animals truely have blubber? I am researching some books reference polar bears and penguins as having some, but the definition would indicate only some sea mammals - whales, dolphins, walrus and seals, I think. We would greatly appreciate your input. Love this site! It's our first official science fair.
Project Due Date: ASAP finishing this afternoon 5/20/14
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Blubber

Post by teacherto2 »

My boys and I did the blubber experiment and are currently putting the display together. According to the definition, whales and some other sea mammals have blubber, but some books reference polar bears as having blubber. What is the correct answer? Thank you in advance for expert replies.
dpututor
Expert
Project Question: I would like to become an Ask the Expert in order to become a part of this wonderful program!
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Blubber

Post by dpututor »

Hello!
What an interesting topic!

Here is a quote I found from an article on the PBS sponsored website below:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes ... heet/7053/

"Underneath their fur, polar bears have black skin which absorbs the heat of the sun, and below the skin is a thick, 4-inch layer of blubber. This blubber layer is particularly beneficial while polar bears swim, keeping them warm in the cold water and increasing buoyancy."
I recommend reading the rest of the article if you are looking for more information specific to polar bears.

Have fun and good luck!
Lily
Schmetterling14
Project Question: No science project here. Just looking to help out.
Project Due Date: June 15,2014
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Blubber

Post by Schmetterling14 »

The answer is that sea mammals do have blubber ( which you found out) and so do polar bears. Their black skin does help keep them warm but it works best when the sun is shinning. When the sun doesn't shine then they rely on their blubber to keep their body temperature as close to normal as possible. Hope this helps you and your students out.

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”