Hypothesis !! Help Me !

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

BreAhna
Project Question: My topic for my science fair project is "Yuck What Happened to my apples! How Food Wrappings Affect Spoilage." Which I got from your website. My question is I need help with my hypothesis. I don't know where to go with it. Can you please give me a hypothesis for my topic? Thank you!
Project Due Date: Tuesday, December 3rd, 2013
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Hypothesis !! Help Me !

Post by BreAhna »

I need help with my hypothesis. My topic is "Yuck, What Happened to My Apple? How Food Wrappings Affect Spoilage. I don't really know how to set my hypothesis up. Can you please give me a hypothesis for this topic or guide me in the right direction to have a strong hypothesis. I also got my topic from science buddies. Thanks
dcnick96
Former Expert

Re: Hypothesis !! Help Me !

Post by dcnick96 »

Hello, and welcome to Science Buddies! This will be a great exploration of how to make food last longer...an important concept you can use in your every day life!

So, your hypothesis is an educated guess of what's going to happen. Based on your background research, you will predict what is going to happen in your experiment prior to doing it. In your case, you are going to predict whether different wrappings allow food to stay fresh longer.

Your hypothesis should be in the basic form of "If I do XXX, then XXX will happen." Based on this information, can you come up with a first attempt at a hypothesis for your experiment? Write back and let us know what it is, and then we can go from there.

Good luck!
Deana
SandbaggerOne
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer expert.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SandbaggerOne »

BreAhna,
How are you doing with your hypothesis? dcnick96 gave you some good advice, but I wanted to check and see if you still needed help.

Cheers,
Colin
assilelghali
Project Question: I need help and guidelines for a science fair project that can take me far into the science fair when I get into highschool. I want to be well prepared.

Post by assilelghali »

say, "I predict that the blah blah will decrease the rate in which the apple will spoil because blah blah".
bandgeek711
Project Question: I need to do research
Project Due Date: January 26th
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by bandgeek711 »

hello there I also need help,

hi I need help also with my hypothesis, I been looking online on how to do a hypothesis correctly because right now there a so far two ways of doing a hypothesis!
1) if [ I do this] , then this will happen.
2) I predict that blah bla blah will happen because based on balh bla bah.

which one is better!

bandgeek711
SandbaggerOne
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer expert.

Post by SandbaggerOne »

Hi there,

You're really describing the same thing with your two examples. The hypothesis is something like: if I do this, then that will happen based on blah blah blah.

The hypothesis is a testable prediction based on information you already have. You use what you know to come up with a hypothesis and design an experiment to test that hypothesis.

Does that help? It might help if you could share your ideas more specifically.

Cheers,
Colin
connief
Former Expert
Project Question: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.
Project Due Date: I am volunteering for the "Ask an Expert" program.

Post by connief »

Hi there,

The previous experts already gave you some great advice. If you want an additional guide, Science Buddies has a webpage that explains how to generate a strong hypothesis. I suggest that you go ahead and take a look at that too and see if that will give you some additional pointers: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/blog/201 ... thesis.php.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Connie
bandgeek711
Project Question: I need to do research
Project Due Date: January 26th
Project Status: I am just starting

Post by bandgeek711 »

thanks,

thanks guys it helped,

love bandgeek711

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”