DNA extraction

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Mgonzalez1384
Project Question: Which fruit produces the most DNA? Strawberry, banana, or kiwi? I would like to know why some fruits yield more DNA than others?
Project Due Date: 01/30/2015
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

DNA extraction

Post by Mgonzalez1384 »

Why do some fruits yield more DNA than others? We extracted the DNA from a kiwi, strawberry and banana, but now I would like to know why? I've tried doing some research on this topic, but I couldn't locate any answers.
scibuddyAK
Former Expert
Project Question: I'm registering because I'm interested in volunteering with the Ask an Expert program to help students with their science fair projects.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: DNA extraction

Post by scibuddyAK »

Hi Mgonzalez1384,

To the best of my knowledge, fruits "yield" DNA more or less easily depending on the strength of their cell walls and nuclear membranes. Fruit with flimsier or weaker cell walls and nuclear membranes will allow the DNA in the nucleus to come out more easily when placed under physical pressure, whereas it will be harder for tougher fruits to do so.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
scibuddyAK

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”