Water evaporation rate with salt, fresh, and distilled water

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

berdied
Project Question: Water Evaporation Rate of salt, fresh, and distilled water.
Project Due Date: 3/3/15
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Water evaporation rate with salt, fresh, and distilled water

Post by berdied »

Hello,
My daughter has done a water evaporation experiment with fresh water (melted snow), salt water (from a salty near by stream), and distilled water. The distilled water is evaporating the slowest, then salt water and fresh water the quickest. We were wondering why the distilled is taking the longest? I understand it should be the quickest? The fresh water and salt water are very close to the same evaporation rate. I understand fresh water should evaporate the quickest because of less particles making it easier to evaporate? Is that correct?
She did her best to keep all the variables the same such as setting her water in a room with the same temperature for all three containers filled with water, the same air flow for all there, and the water was in the exact same containers.
Thanks so much,
Amber
SandbaggerOne
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer expert.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Water evaporation rate with salt, fresh, and distilled w

Post by SandbaggerOne »

I'm going to link to an old response to a similar question because it was explained very well there: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... 314#p25863

Cheers,
Colin

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”