Decibel project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

CDPTEACH
Project Question: Robots that follow light
Project Due Date: March 18th
Project Status: I am just starting

Decibel project

Post by CDPTEACH »

Hi,
My daughter is working on her Science Fair project. She sees an audiologist, and he told her that she is in noise 68% of the time. So we wanted to figure out where all the noise is coming from. We got a noise meter, and she has been taking readings in different locations, and during different activities she is a part of.

We are having a difficult time coming up with the question for this project.....usually we don't work backwards like this!!!

I was thinking of....
"Where is the noisiest environment/activity for a first grader?"

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! :)

Thanks!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Decibel project

Post by tdaly »

Hi CDPTEACH,

This sounds like a very interesting project! It's one I haven't seen before, which is always fun to see. The question you stated is excellent. Good luck with the project! Post back if you have other questions.
All the best,
Terik
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Decibel project

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

I think your question is a good one, just narrow it down a bit - the noisiest place for your child in the entire world is a rather large topic, even if you limit it only to the places she might normally be able to get to on her own.

(narrow it down as in "where is the noisiest location for a first grader in her classroom" or "at school")

I agree - an interesting and unusual experiment. Have fun with it!

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”