can you reduce the affects of hydro friction?

A forum for educators who are organizing and/or running a school or local science fair, working with in-class science projects or assignments, and other STEM issues.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger

lazarath
Project Question: i just need an answer to a question please.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

can you reduce the affects of hydro friction?

Post by lazarath »

I am working on a project that requires the fluid passing through a pipe system to meet as little frictional force as possible to allow the reaction to work over longer periods.
I have considered optimum angles and silicone polishing as proactive steps but there is an option in which i need a scientists mind.

As frictional energy created by the fast water flow creates a inhibiting bonding affect i need to find a way to harvest the created energy permanently during the reaction.
My idea is to have a conductive wire membrane moulded into the material of the pipes inner surface, with sporadic receiver wires to harvest the energy causing the bonding influence.

Could this be an option?

is there something i could do to the receiver wires to help them pull the energy away from its source? like a sort of ionic induction reaction?

All comments are most welcome.

Many thanks

Matthew austin.
SandbaggerOne
Former Expert
Project Question: Volunteer expert.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: can you reduce the affects of hydro friction?

Post by SandbaggerOne »

Hi Matthew,

I think hydrophobic coating to reduce the friction and large radius turns are the way to go.

Cheers,
Colin

Return to “Science Teachers: Fairs, Projects, and General Support”