variables for sugar crystal project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kperk4
Project Question: Help with experimental design for growing sugar crystals with seed crystals.
Project Due Date: April 30th, 2015
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

variables for sugar crystal project

Post by kperk4 »

My son and I are finishing up our seed crystal growth experiment. It is due on 4/30/15. We thought we were in the home stretch, but I have been having trouble trying to figure out what the dependant, independent, and constant variables are, but we are very confused. Also, could you explain the five components of experimental design. I can't find a clear answer when I google it. Last, any suggestions as to how we can display the sugar crystals safely?
bradleyshanrock-solberg
Former Expert
Occupation: Software Engineer/QA Lead - Quality, Risk Assessment, Statistics, Problem Solving
Project Question: BS Caltech Engineering & Applied Science (Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science)
Research in Traffic and Ceramic Composites
25 years doing IT, various roles, for multinational manufacturing company
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: variables for sugar crystal project

Post by bradleyshanrock-solberg »

This answer is a couple weeks late, for which I apologize.

Constant Variable - something that didn't change in the experiment
Dependent Variable - the thing you are trying to measure with your experiment
Independent Variable - the thing you changed in your experiment, to see if the thing you are measuring also changes.

Some links on your second question for how to structure a science fair experiment
I'm not sure what you mean by 5 components - the methodology varies but it is more than 5 in both types
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... thod.shtml
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/engineer ... teps.shtml

For your third question - photographs or even better, a video where you show various angles are probably the simplest way. The crystals are pretty fragile and would need a lot of care to transport safely to the science fair display area without damage.

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”