density vs volume vs weight

A forum for educators who are organizing and/or running a school or local science fair, working with in-class science projects or assignments, and other STEM issues.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger

elybrook
Project Question: density vs weight
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

density vs volume vs weight

Post by elybrook »

I work for a company that produces shampoo and conditioner. On our bottle it states 9 fl oz or 266ml NET. The person in charge of quality tells us we need to fill the bottle to a total of 279 grams. due to the density. I feel this is too much above the stated numbers on the bottles. Our product is thicker than water but I feel we should fill to the weight on the bottle not to a number set above the actual weight on the bottle. Am I looking at this wrong? I just need to have clarification.

thank you
HowardE
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: density vs volume vs weight

Post by HowardE »

I can't speak for your product obviously, but I know a bit about maple syrup. One ml (liquid volume) of grade A syrup typically has amass of 1.34 grams. So 266 ml of syrup would have a mass of 356.4 grams. That's heavier than your product. Would you say your product feels to you to be somewhere in density between water and maple syrup?

Your QC person is probably speaking in mass instead of volume because it's easier for machinery to meter out product in packaging by weighing it. You said you think you should be filling to the 'weight on the bottle' but the bottle isn't marked in weight - it's marked in volume.

Howard

Return to “Science Teachers: Fairs, Projects, and General Support”