Help!!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mvelez2016

Help!!!

Post by mvelez2016 »

Hello, my daughter is in third grade and has her first science project and I was hoping I can be guided with some ideas. her project is based on soil and which type of soil absorbs most heat from sunlight. yikes I tried to do some research but totally clueless. thanks in advance. Mirna :(
trystanloustau
Former Expert

Re: Help!!!

Post by trystanloustau »

Don't fret, Mirna! Once you and your daughter master the basics, you will see that science fair projects are a fun and awesome way for students to learn about the world around them. I remember struggling with my first experiment in elementary school, but now I'm a high school student competing in science fairs at the state level. I am so glad to help you take the first step in supporting your daughter as she takes on her first project. After I explain some things to you, I encourage you to pass on the information to her so that she can take a lead role in conducting her first experiment.

First things first, every science experiment involves two main variables: the independent and dependent variables. The independent variable is the factor that you, the experimenter, changes and manipulates. In this instance, it seems that you will be experimenting with different types of soil. Since the type of soil is changing, it is your independent variable. On the other hand, the dependent variable is the factor that changes as a result of the change in the independent variable. It is also what you measure in your experiment. In this case, you will see how different types of soil will absorb different amounts of heat. As the type of soil changes, so does the amount of heat absorbed. Thus, the amount of heat absorbed is your dependent variable, and it is what you will measure to make data graphs (if you are required to) and form conclusions.

I would recommend using at least three different types of soil, such as sand, silt, or clay. Once you have established which types of soil you will be working with, you should start researching how the composition of each affects the way it absorbs heat. This source should be helpful: http://extension.uga.edu/k12/science-be ... rption.pdf.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Trystan

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”