How Does a Chick Breathe Inside Its Shell? question

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Mztig1

How Does a Chick Breathe Inside Its Shell? question

Post by Mztig1 »

are you supposed to crack all the eggs at one time, or let each one sit for another 24 hours in the solution? Its unclear to me, but daughter and Husband both say its each egg after another 24 hours. Could you please clarify?
sunmoonstars
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How Does a Chick Breathe Inside Its Shell? question

Post by sunmoonstars »

Hi,

I read through the project and you crack all the eggs after 24 hours - so this is six eggs at 24 hours of soaking, with no more soaking. The reason for this is to give you six eggs to compare your results, all with the same amount of soaking (24 hours) - and should have the same results from all of them (although some will be easier to see than others). What this tells you is that the dye gets through the pores in the shell - not the hard shell itself. The evidence of this is the dye pattern you see on the inside of the shell.

If you were going to do a study on how long it takes the dye to get through the pores, you would break the eggs at different times, and compare the different results - looking for the time when you see the dye patterns on the inside of the eggs. This is not what the experiment is designed to do.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Tonya

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”