plant adaption to bushfires

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

helenlucyrees
Project Question: Which plants are best adapted to being fire resistant? I need help coming up with some safe practical hands on investigations i can do with my class with this topic in a classroom setting. Class is a 5/6 composite class
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: I am just starting

plant adaption to bushfires

Post by helenlucyrees »

Any ideas for a safe, hands on investigation i can conduct with students in a 5/6 composite class in a classroom setting involving plant adaption to bushfires?
FRickels
Former Expert

Re: plant adaption to bushfires

Post by FRickels »

Hi helenlucyrees!

Apologies for the late reply, this sounds like a very interesting experiment! I found a research project with a similar topic and I think it could be modified to fit your class' age group. http://www.tropical-biology.org/wp-cont ... ni2011.pdf

An idea based off the report might be that you could take data of the thickness of tree barks from areas which commonly have bush fires and have the kids compare it to trees in areas where bush fires aren't as common in a graph, for example. I'm not sure how to make this a hands-on experiment unless you can get actual tree bark samples.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

FRickels
FRickels

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”