Cleaning Up Oil Spills science experiment idea

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mimi9000

Cleaning Up Oil Spills science experiment idea

Post by mimi9000 »

Hello!

My 4th grader has to do a science project using the scientific method and likes both the "Goo Be Gone" and "Can Nanotechnology Clean Up Oil Spills" projects. I'm wondering if the two can be combined so that he tests which is more effective at cleaning up oil: sorbents or ferrofluid.

However, one experiment uses vegetable oil and one uses mineral.

Ideally, he'd try to clean up motor oil using sorbents and ferrofluid -- but is it possible to buy or make ferrofluid with motor oil as the base?

Before we get too far into this -- Is this too convoluted a project?

Any advice is appreciated!
allisontu
Former Student Expert

Re: Cleaning Up Oil Spills science experiment idea

Post by allisontu »

Hi,

This sounds like a great project! It's an interesting and relevant topic, and your son will certainly learn a lot.

The ferrofluid does not necessarily need to have motor oil as its base. As long as the ferrofluid's carrier liquid (often mineral oil) mixes well with the motor oil, the experiment should work. You may want to do some preliminary testing to confirm whether or not mineral oil-based ferrofluid would be effective.

If not, here's a link that gives the procedure to make motor oil-based ferrofluid.
https://fear-of-lightning.wonderhowto.c ... e-0132750/

Hope this helps,
Allison
mimi9000

Post by mimi9000 »

Hi Allison,

Thanks so much for your reply! Very helpful.

If a mineral-based ferrofluid could work I might buy some because the idea of heating up ammonia makes me a little nervous.
Might this work?
https://www.amazon.com/CMS-Magnetics-Ma ... ferrofluid

If no, I'll make some using the link you kindly provided.

Thanks again for your help!
allisontu
Former Student Expert

Post by allisontu »

Hi,

Before purchasing anything, I would recommend mixing some motor oil and mineral oil together to make sure they mix well. As long as they do, a mineral-oil based ferrofluid should work.

As long as the two oils mix together, I think the ferrofluid from your link will work well.

Hope this helps,
Allison

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”