Dilutions for YEAST BUSTERS - 2% antifungal to equal 1%???

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

quartzgaia

Dilutions for YEAST BUSTERS - 2% antifungal to equal 1%???

Post by quartzgaia »

My son is doing this Science experiment = YEAST BUSTERS

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

He has 2% medicine that we don't know how to dilute to be equivalent to the 1% medicine. He also has tree tea oil that needs to be diluted too. I assume the oil is 100%? :?:

Need help ASAP. THANK YOU! :)
eedoherty
Former Expert

Re: Dilutions for YEAST BUSTERS - 2% antifungal to equal 1%???

Post by eedoherty »

Hi there,

For dilutions the equation you would want to use is: (concentration1)*(volume1)=(concentration2)*(volume2).

In this case for the concentration 1 is 2% and concentration 2 is 1%. The volume 2 should be however much medicine you need for the experiment--it looks like .125 tsp. Then you will solve for volume 1 which is the amount of 2% solution that you need-- this would be 0.0625 tsp. Then you will subtract this volume from the final volume you want so that your whole solution adds up to the volume 2. This would mean that you are mixing 0.0625 tsp of 2% medicine and 0.0625 tsp of water.

Since 0.0625 tsp would be very hard to measure I'd suggest scaling it up, and making something like an even 1 cup of 1% solution following this same procedure so that your volumes are easier to measure out.

For the tea tree oil I would assume 100% unless there is a label on the bottle saying otherwise.

Best of luck!

Erin
quartzgaia

Post by quartzgaia »

Thank you! So the Tea Tree Oil says it is 100% Melalueca Alternifolia Oil. How does he test this to be equal to 1%? He has been using 1/8 and 1/4 tsp for the 3 water bottles (each). It is due Monday! Thank you!
eedoherty
Former Expert

Post by eedoherty »

Do you mean that you want to dilute the 100% oil to 1% oil in a 3 water bottle sized container? You could actually use that same formula:

(concentration1)*(volume1)=(concentration2)*(volume2)

If you are using 3 water bottles (lets assume 16.9 oz each) this would be 304.2 tsp.

(1)*x=(.01)*(304.2 tsp) is the equation to set up to give you your answer. This would mean measure out 3.04 tsp of oil and dilute this with water until your final volume is 304.2 or 3 water bottles.

Does this answer your question?

Best,

Erin

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”