i have the answer but not the data

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

HelloScience13
Project Question: can i measure the diameter of the earths core using seismic waves
Project Due Date: november 3rd 2017
Project Status: I am conducting my research

i have the answer but not the data

Post by HelloScience13 »

i found out the answer to my project but i cant get the data because the app wont work
my question was can i measure the diameter of the earths core using seismic waves
8) :evil: :? :)
catherineM99
Former Expert

Re: i have the answer but not the data

Post by catherineM99 »

Hello HelloScience13!

That’s too bad that the app is not working! Are you running it on a computer or a laptop? The experiment mentioned that the program requires high speed internet. Perhaps as a starting point you could try to find data online from a similar experiment and examine this seismic evidence. If you cannot access high speed internet/ the program still won’t function properly, you could do this very similar Science Buddies Experiment: “How Fast Do Seismic Waves Travel?”, which doesn’t require you to download anything. Basically, you would look at historical data from the Northern California Earthquake Data Center to calculate how fast a seismic wave from an earthquake travels. Here is the link to the experiment: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ves-travel

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!
~Catherine M.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”