Yeast Busters dilution concentration verification

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

kpeters12

Yeast Busters dilution concentration verification

Post by kpeters12 »

Hi
We are trying to verify the low concentration for this experiment. The calculations for the high concentration make sense but is it correct that the low concentration for antifungal medications of 1% would be 10,000- fold dilution which is 5ug/mL concentration of antifungal agent? Thanks!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Yeast Busters dilution concentration verification

Post by SciB »

The calculations are a little tricky but as I read them: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

The LOW concentration of antifungal medication is prepared by diluting 1/8 tsp of the HIGH, 1000-fold solution (10 ug/ml), into 1/4 cup of water (12 tsp or 96 eighth tsp) which is a 100-fold dilution. So, a 100-fold dilution of a 1000-fold dilution is a 100,000-fold dilution if my reasoning is correct.

Other experts please CHECK!!

The high concentration (given that the antifungal chemical is at 1%) is 10 ug/ml, so the low concentration would be 1/100 of that or 0.10 ug/ml.

Does that sound correct to you?

Sybee
kpeters12

Re: Yeast Busters dilution concentration verification

Post by kpeters12 »

Hi Sybee
Thanks so much for your response! Your reasoning and calculations make sense to us now that we see the logic you used. Thanks very much for the help! :D

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”