Water Surface Tension - Comparing Different Hole Shapes

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

cutthroatjoe

Water Surface Tension - Comparing Different Hole Shapes

Post by cutthroatjoe »

I have a project where I want to compare the surface tension of water on a grid of holes that have different shapes. For example; comparing 3 plates that have different hole shapes like a circle, square and triangle. They would have the same number of holes and the same cross-sectional open area. I want to put together a hypothesis for what will happen but I have not been able to find anything online regarding calculations on any kind of hole except for a round one. Any thoughts?

I believe that the sharper the corners the hole has the less surface tension can be applied and therefore more water runs through but I have no basis for this assumption other than my gut. Does anyone have any expertise on this?
kaylimasuda
Former Expert

Re: Water Surface Tension - Comparing Different Hole Shapes

Post by kaylimasuda »

Hello there!

Here is a link to a science paper related to your experiment: "https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 017-0876-7" It seems to conclude that the corners do have an impact opposed to the round edges, possible supporting your hypothesis. Perhaps someone with more expertise can provide further knowledge.

I hope that begins to help!
-Kayli Masuda

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”