Creating a Kidney

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

The Creating a Kidney project

Post by 720872 »

Hi,
A few days ago I found the "Creating a Kidney" project. This sounds really interesting, and I want to do it. The problem is, my science teacher has strict rules and procedures to follow. We have to create a hypothesis first, procedures next, then do the experiment. This is definitely more of a research project, and the end goal of the project is basically creating a hypothesis. I don't think that she would really consider this an experiment. Is there a way that I could modify the project to include an experiment without having to use actual stem cells?
maleencabe
Former Expert

Re: The Creating a Kidney project

Post by maleencabe »

Hello!

Well, the create a kidney project is essentially using bioinformatics databases to see if there are certain factors/proteins that are suitable for one to generate a kidney in lab. So, there would be no actual use of stem cells! So, this can be a definite project for you to do. The first step to any research project is, in fact, literature research. You may want to do some googling on what type of environment is needed for cells to develop into a kidney. What factors/proteins are needed to allow this to occur? Not all is known about this process, so you can generate a hypothesis that pertains to what concoction of factors would be ideal for bioengineering a kidney. So, it's predominantly literature research and using a database to determine whatever factors you would suggest using to generate a kidney with stem cells will help facilitate this process.

Hope this helps!
Maleen Cabe
"The important thing is to never stop questioning." -- Albert Einstein

Creating a Kidney

Post by 720872 »

Hi,
I am at the part of the Creating a Kidney project that requires you to use the Amazonia database. I am able to get on the actual website, but once I type in an integrin subunit, the website completely freezes. I was wondering is there was another database I could use instead of Amazonia (I am doing this project with a liver, not a kidney if that affects anything). Edit: Now when I go onto the website a box pops up saying "Sorry, an error occured," and it won't give me any other information.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Creating a Kidney

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Sorry for the problem in using Amazonia. I just went to the site (http://amazonia.transcriptome.eu/) and had the same trouble as you did--typed in 'integrin' and nothing happened, then got ERROR HAS OCCURRED message.

The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) has a free online tool for microarray studies called Gene Expression Omnibus or GEO (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/geo/) that you should be able to use to get the data you need to complete your project. It doesn't matter for the database what you choose as the target organ. Liver is ok but you will have to find publications specifically about the liver and choose the cells and protein factors specific for that organ.

Give GEO a try and if you have a problem using it let us know and we'll try to get you back on track.

Good luck!

Sybee

Post by 720872 »

I tried to use that database and found a publication specifically about the liver. The publication said the expression was 138. I looked for another publication to verify the data, but that one said that the expression was 29. I made sure that they were both about humans, which they were. Can you help?
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

I'm confused. What do you mean by "...the expression was 138" ?
To what does that number refer?

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”