UV light from LED and manicure lamps and sunlight strength

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

alisonmehta

UV light from LED and manicure lamps and sunlight strength

Post by alisonmehta »

Hello,

We are looking to answer a question about the strength and risk of UV exposure from UV based manicure lamps. I can find the strength and UV exposure of the lamps, but can’t seem to find how this compares to typical daylight sun exposure, which while obviously variable, I assume there are typical levels of sunlight strength.
Does anyone know how much light explosive time from a typical manicure LED lamp compares to a typical sunny day? For example, does 1 minute under a UV manicure light equal an hour of daylight at noon ?
cumulonimbus
Former Expert

Re: UV light from LED and manicure lamps and sunlight strength

Post by cumulonimbus »

Hi,

I found an article that might be helpful: https://www.self.com/story/gel-manicure ... kin-cancer
According to the article, "UVA irradiance or strength emitted by nail lamps whether fluorescent or LED is at least four times stronger than UVA from normal sunlight." I would suggest, however, looking on the Internet to find other articles that corroborate this statement, as there seems to be some controversy about the issue.

Elena

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”