How does soil affect the pH of water?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Alisa1234

How does soil affect the pH of water?

Post by Alisa1234 »

Hi! I am doing the project how does soil affect the pH of water listed on https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... background

I am just a bit confused on what I am finding and what I should change. For my project, I am required to have an independent variable and a dependent variable. Is the independent variable the type of soil or the amount of time the soil stays in contact with the water? If I choose either one, how will I have to change the experiment?

Thank you!
nguyenmccarty
Former Expert
Project Question: Ask an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: How does soil affect the pH of water?

Post by nguyenmccarty »

Hi! Based on how the procedure is given in the link you posted, it looks like both soil and and amount of time in contact with the water are independent variables:

1) You're testing how one type of soil affects the pH of the water after 1 hour, 1 day, and 2 days, making time the variable within this portion of the experiment.

2) You're doing the same experiment with two additional soil samples, letting you compare how different types of soil affect water pH.

I hope that helps clarify the experiment for you, and let me know if you still have questions! :)

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”