use of probiotics for gram + and - stain

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Krej

use of probiotics for gram + and - stain

Post by Krej »

Do you know if there is a probiotic I can purchase at the store to culture, then use for gram staining? I specifically would like to find microbes that show both gram positive, gram negative results and maybe a few of the characteristic shapes (coccus, rod shaped, etc.). Thanks for your help!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: use of probiotics for gram + and - stain

Post by SciB »

Hi,

Yes, you can culture the bacteria from yogurt provided the label says it contains live, active cultures.

Here is a project from Sibuddies that tells you how to grow yogurt bacteria:

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

The two most common bacteria in yogurt are Lactobacillus sp. and Streptococcus thermophilus. Both are Gram positive. The first has the rod form of a bacillus while the second is a coccus.

If you want a Gram negative bacterium, I would use Escherichia coli (E coli). Its not a yogurt bacterium, however, and the only way you can be sure of getting E coli is to buy it from a biological supply company like Carolina Biologicals.

Be sure to handle and dispose of bacteria safely. The nutrient agar plates you use to grow the cultures can also grow some bad bugs and fungi, so wear dispo gloves and safety glasses and treat anything that comes in contact with bacterial cultures in a solution of 10% Clorox.

If you have more questions, please elt us know.

Sybee
Krej

Post by Krej »

Thank you!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by SciB »

You are most welcome.

Let us know what you plan to do and if we can help you further.

Good luck,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”