Dependent variable measurement (Biology)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

079efdddccc24cbdb8308cee282f4a01

Dependent variable measurement (Biology)

Post by 079efdddccc24cbdb8308cee282f4a01 »

I have a quick question regarding the experimental design and the dependent variable.

I am to investigate the amount of RDS (Rapidly Digestible Starch) in relation to the retrogradation temperature but what I will measure is the amount of glucose after chemical digestion and I will calculate the amount of RDS by subtracting the amount of free glucose.

In this case, can I say that the RDS is the dependent variable of the experiment because I am looking at the relationship with that?

I was not sure if the dependent variable has to be the thing measured in the experiment or it can be the calculated value from the experiment.

Thank you so much for your help!
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Dependent variable measurement (Biology)

Post by SciB »

Hi and welcome to Scibuddies. Your question is a good one and I hope that other experts will weigh in on it too. My response would be to say that your dependent variable has to be that compound that is of interest to you--the RDS in your case. Often in an experiment we have to measure not the the compound that we want to know the concentration of but something that we have proven is equivalent to it. But, I would still say that the dependent variable is the compound of interest, not what was actually measured.

I emphasize that this is my opinion because I don't have the authority to be positive about it. I hope others will chime in, hopefully with some evidence to back up their statements, as to which compound should be called the dependent variable in your experiment. In your methods write-up you would make it clear which compound you were interested in and which one you actually measured to determine the compound of interest. In my experience, scientific papers rarely use the words 'dependent variable'. In the methods section, it is clearly described what is being measured and how, and it is left to the reader to understand the connection between the measured compound and the compound of interest.

Hope this helps,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”