Extracting and transfering endophytes from one plant to another

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Darius4Life

Extracting and transfering endophytes from one plant to another

Post by Darius4Life »

How can I extract and transfer endophytes from one plant to another?
Endophytes are bacteria/fungus that live in a plant without causing disease, and they have been seen to help with phytoremediation. I was wondering whether an increased amount of endophytes would lead to more phytoremediation. To do this, I would need equipment to allow me to extract the endophytes from one plant (same species) and transfer it to the other (culturing and growing it in between).

Would anyone know how to extract endophytes from a plant? Or if it would be better to try to grow fungus that was extracted from the plant? And how to transfer it to a different plant of the same species?
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Extracting and transfering endophytes from one plant to another

Post by MadelineB »

Hello,
I apologize for the delay in responding to your post. In order for the experts here at Science Buddies to help you, would you please describe your science project in more detail? Please tell us your hypotheses and how you plan to conduct experiments to test those hypotheses.

It would also help if you could tell us what lab facilities will be available to you.

Thank you.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”