Temperature for Growing Bacteria

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Petegirl

Temperature for Growing Bacteria

Post by Petegirl »

Hello my daughter is doing the experiment Is there really Bacteria living in my Yogurt? The instructions say to make an anaerobic chamber but also a room over 80 degrees. Do you have some suggestions on accomplishing both?
I did see a video link you posted sealing each Petri dish in a plastic bag and placing the whole box on top of a cable box. Would the be effective here? Thanks
mattrosenthal26
Former Student Expert

Re: Temperature for Growing Bacteria

Post by mattrosenthal26 »

Hi!
Yes, if the cable box is around 80 degrees, that would be a great approach to use! Also, if you have access to an incubator (don't worry if you don't) that would also be a great approach. However, I think that the method you are using sounds like an effective approach!
Petegirl

Growing Bacteria

Post by Petegirl »

Hello, my daughter is doing the experiment is there really bacteria growing in my yogurt. To create an anaerobic chamber and the right temperature we used a method from a video posted on the site with a plastic bag. Tonight we checked on the plates and one of them had a lot of condensation so I changed out the bagsto new ones. I'm now second-guessing this . I didn't want there to be too much moisture but I want the plates to grow a couple of more days. Have I harmed our experiment? Thank you

Moderator note: Hi! I've merged this post with your previous topic so the expert who was helping you will see that you have a new question. If you keep all your posts together it is easier for the expert to help you. Thanks!
PeaceFolarin
Former Student Expert

Re: Temperature for Growing Bacteria

Post by PeaceFolarin »

Hi!

I'm not entirely sure if you have "harmed" your experiment, but when you are culturing bacteria on agar, condensation is expected. However, it depends on the way that you place it in your anaerobic chamber that it could possibly mess up your bacteria. You have to place it upside down so that the condensation does not drip into your bacteria and end up destroying it. Your petri dish should be inverted. I attached a picture so that you know what it looks like. You can see some of the condensation on the Petri dishes. Additionally, according to the "Is That Really Bacteria Living in My Yogurt?" website, you should leave it there for 6 days.

Hope that was helpful!

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... at9IL-mfzM:

Peace

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”