PLEASE HELP!!! Plastic Decomposing Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

fantasyreader

PLEASE HELP!!! Plastic Decomposing Project

Post by fantasyreader »

My science fair project is about the durability of homemade plastics. I made 3 types of plastic. One out of styrofoam and acetone. The other two are bioplastics. One was made out of cornstarch, glycerin, vinegar, and water. The other was called Casein Plastic and made out of whole milk and vinegar. I left each one outside to see which plastic would show signs of decomposing first. I was wondering what would a reasonable hypothesis be for which plastic would show signs of decomposing first. The weather has been pretty cold for the past few days. Is there a reason for the hypothesis too? Would the vinegar react to the cold weather and cause something to happen?
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?: :!:
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: PLEASE HELP!!! Plastic Decomposing Project

Post by RicaC »

Dear fantasyreader,

I would recommend you to go to a project guide to help you form a hypothesis on Science Buddies, which can be found at https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... hypothesis . Depending on what your teacher requires for the hypothesis, you might need or not need a reason. If you do need a reason, make sure you have background information that can support your hypothesis. I could take a look at your hypothesis to make sure that it is a good hypothesis.

It is recommended for vinegar to be stored in a cool dark cabinet or the refrigerator to prevent the formation of "mother", cellulose that results from harmless vinegar bacteria. Therefore I think that vinegar will be fine in the cold weather.

I hope this helps your project. If you have any questions, please let me know.

RicaC

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”