blue light effect on radish seedlings; interesting results??

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

caltenPIE4

blue light effect on radish seedlings; interesting results??

Post by caltenPIE4 »

Dear Expert,
Hi, I grew radish seeds in blue light from an ipad and another set in halogen light. My blue light samples had blue, purple, blackish spots when I viewed them under the microscope. I couldn't see the spots with my naked eye or with using a magnifying glass.
It doesn't appear to be a fungal issue and it's only on the 8 blue light radish samples. I tried to google it but I couldn't find any explanation for the spots. I wondered if you can help me understand what the spots might be. I think they formed as a result of the blue light. I have done some background research and some studies indicate that blue light may be damaging to human skin, so I wanted to investigate blue light on plants.
Thank you for your time,

Lysie A., 8th grade scientist
NanditaN425
Former Student Expert

Re: blue light effect on radish seedlings; interesting results??

Post by NanditaN425 »

Hi and welcome back to SciBuddies!

I really like your project idea!
I did some research and found that blue light may cause certain increases and decreases in antioxidants in plants, contributing to different leaf colors. In a similar sense, maybe it applies to the blue spots on your plant. Here's the link: https://gpnmag.com/article/effects-of-b ... on-plants/

Also be sure to check if the blue spots are not mold:)

Hopefully this helps!
NanditaN425
caltenPIE4

Re: blue light effect on radish seedlings; interesting results??

Post by caltenPIE4 »

Dear NanditaN425,
Thanks for your reply to my question. I will definitely read the article and I plan to try the experiment again and use a different kind of microscope to view the structures. Hopefully I can identify what they are.
THank you,
Lysie

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”